Monday, May 2, 2011

*Breaking News*

I'm sure everyone knows by now that Osama Bin Laden has been killed. I hear he had been living in a mansion within a few miles of our Military Base in Pakistan. Ironic. I definitely don't wish death on anyone, however justice has been served here, and I am completely okay with that. My thoughts right now are with the families of the 9/11 victims. This heart-wrenching wound has been reopened, but hopefully they can sleep better knowing that the man behind the attack has finally got what's been coming to him.

Everyone is extremely worried about a terror attack soon out of retaliation. I think that's extremely possible, but I highly doubt it will be within the next few days, just because I think that's too obvious. Would they really be stupid enough to plan an attack when everyone is expecting it? Probably not. But that's just my opinion. What do I know?

I was thinking all day about whether I would say anything about this or not. I just didn't know if I wanted to bring up anything political, or just leave it alone to avoid conflict. But then I figured, so many people try to do that to be "politically correct". How is it PC to not have any opinion at all? We have the God-given right to Freedom of Speech, and we better start exercising it before it gets taken away. Regardless of my own opinions, our President did give a very good speech last night. No, I'm not going to vote for him in 2012, and no I don't agree with many of the choices he's made since he's been in office. However, at this moment in time he is the leader of my country which means he deserves and receives my respect. And it has nothing to do with him personally. Overall, the Obamas are a very likable family. They're your "average American family", if you will. You can tell that President and Mrs. Obama love each other heaps and bunches, and love their daughters and are raising them to the best of their ability. And that makes it hard, because I believe he is trying to be a good president. I can't imagine how overwhelmingly stressful his job is, and I sympathize with that. However, the basis of his beliefs and convictions are at the opposite end of the spectrum from mine, and for that, I cannot, with a clear conscience, support his healthcare bill, or many of his other ideas. Okay, maybe I shouldn't say "complete opposite sides" because I'm not a total Right Wing. I think I lean more towards the right side, but in all truth, I'm kind of in the middle. I agree and disagree with both sides. But like I said, either way he's my president, the leader of *my* country, the greatest country in the world, and it's my obligation to respect and serve him (without breaching my convictions) and he serves our country. The long and short of it is I just don't think he has the experience or knowledge it takes to lead this country in the state it's in right now.

What started nearly ten years ago didn't end last night. It started up more fighting, more threats, and more reasons to stand for what this country was founded on: 'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness'.

No comments:

Post a Comment